The coffee industry is both valuable and expanding. The International Coffee Organisation’s (ICO) Coffee Market Report of February 2021 showed that world coffee consumption is projected to increase by 1.3% to 166.63 million bags as social distancing measures remain in place, limiting out-of-home consumption, and the global economy recovers at a slow pace.
As competition grows with consumer expectations for this beloved beverage, coffee industry tech plays a larger role in how providers innovate to keep up with demand. It’s happening not only in the roasting area but also in the store.
Innovations in the industry
- Machine learning and AI : It’s getting crucial in the food industry and the coffee industry is no exception. AI supports the manufacturing process and coffee business in every state to improve the quality and time for customers.
- A robotic arm has been produced to implement into the coffee industry. A robotic barista would help to attract more attention or to promote the brand. It will help the coffee companies to increase the coffee quality and manage the time for the consumer.
- Genetic Engineering: Genetically engineered coffee which carries the “GMO” label is quickly growing in popularity within the industry. On the whole, genetic engineering would help to grow the coffee industry, as it allows producers to generate larger profits. Genetic engineering involves modifying produce at the genetic level to improve yield, taste, shelf-life, and more.
Consumer Trends in the Industry
- Ready-to-drink coffee: It is one of the fastest-growing market segments in the industry. RTD coffee is perceived to be a healthier alternative to sodas.
- Plant-based dairy: A trend that has been around for a while in the food and beverage industry is dairy-free. A trend where dairy products are being replaced by plant-based alternatives. The number of people who refuse to drink standard cow’s milk has increased enormously in recent years and continues to rise. Today there are many plant-based alternatives to cow’s milk, such as coconut milk, soymilk and oat milk. The coffee industry began to make delicious cappuccinos and latte macchiato with these.
- Sustainable packaging: Coffee consumers are placing greater emphasis on product sourcing and sustainability, meaning brands are under pressure to highlight their eco-friendly values on their packaging.
It’s a new challenge for the coffee producers to learn emerging trends and set up their business equally to evolve in the market. Technology and innovations are playing a pivotal role in every sector and the coffee sector is not exceptional.