Honey is a thick, sweet liquid and tastes like a gift from the gods, and is deemed one of nature’s finest products. For over 5,000 years, it has been used to heal burns, wounds and other skin ailments due to its antioxidant and antibacterial properties. But that is not all it is good for.
Sharon Chen Chew Yean from Uninoto Marketing says honey is incredible for our skin because of its antibacterial properties and a hefty serving of skin-saving antioxidants. “Honey is naturally antibacterial, so it’s great for acne treatment and prevention.” She adds that it can also stop your skin from showing signs of aging and can boost your complexion as it is extremely moisturizing and soothing, so it helps create a glow. “Honey is clarifying because it opens up pores making them easy to unclog,” she explains further.
Honey is graded based on its colour and clarity with the clear, golden amber variant fetching higher prices than its darker counterparts. It is made up of around 75 per cent sugars, of which roughly half is glucose and half is fructose (these proportions may vary depending on the source of the nectar). The remaining 20 to 25 per cent is water with a trace of protein, a trace of fat and a trace of fiber, which explains why honey has fewer ‘sugars’ or kilojoules/calories than sugar when you compare them weight for weight.
Based on some research-based reviews, honey has been proven to help to decrease the severity and duration of diarrhea. The research shows that it increases potassium and water uptake which is incredibly important when dealing with diarrhea. Sharon says both local and imported honey share the same nutritional content. But she believes that it is better to buy local honey. Not only is it slightly cheaper and more environmentally friendly (it leaves a smaller carbon footprint due to fewer logistics involved), it is also important to support the local economy.
Although there are no hard and fast rules as to how to consume honey, Sharon says timing your consumption can have added benefits. Drinking some honey about 1 ½ hour before eating can help improve indigestion and suppress gastric acid. Having some about 2 hours after eating can also aid digestion.
Honey can reduce the upward flow of stomach acid and undigested food by lining the esophagus and stomach. This sweet liquid has also been proven to help with coughs and throat irritations with parents preferring to use it as a treatment for their children since it is a natural healer. The World Health Organization (WHO) has recognised and recommends honey as a natural cough remedy. The same goes for the American Academy of Pediatrics which also recognizes honey as a cough treatment.
Sharon also says that honey can give you an extra boost of energy when you have to stay up late. What if you got a bout of insomnia? “It helps us improve the quality of sleep and makes us feel fresh and energetic the next day.” “An extra tip: mixing honey with clean water and washing your face with it is very good for moisturising the skin. It helps the skin stay hydrated.”
To learn and search more healthy & natural products, visit the Malaysian International Food & Beverage (MIFB) 2019 Trade Fair from 26-28 June 2019.